I don't have hard facts to back me up with this opinion, and maybe since I am in tune with the news more than I ever have been as an adult - it just seems more apparent. The other factor may be that every time I go to a trauma conference we talk about disaster preparedness and training and THAT makes me always feel unprepared and vulnerable.
Then to the earlier part of the week - The Boston Marathon - again, this seems insane? Right? I spent the better half of the day reading about the older brother's life history, his marriage, his wife and their toddler daughter. I've seen the amazing pictures, the graphic and truly shocking pictures and have wondered - has the World become battle field? If it is not a terrorist bombing, it is an earthquake, plant explosion, building cracks and crumbled in India, Tsunami's, radiation poisoning, drought, the list goes on!
Here are some ways in West, Texas that you can help if interested:
1. Sign up with the Red Cross in Texas - at Dallas American Red Cross
2. Donate Blood - Blood Center of Central Texas, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, LifeShare Blood Center, Louisiana
3. This was an easy way to find a non-health volunteer opportunity in Texas - Volunteer Match - Texas
Now, if Boston is more in your neck of the woods I have checked out a couple of opportunities here as well.
1. Sign up with the Red Cross in Boston at - Boston American Red Cross
2. Donate Blood at Mass General - Mass General Blood Donation
3. And again, another easy way for a non-health volunteer to find ways to help in Boston - Volunteer in Boston
Please extend a hand, donate some blood, take that CPR course you have always wanted to take, and just do something for you, your friends, your family and your loved ones.