Be the change you want to see in the world. ~ Ghandi

Friday, February 18, 2011

A Piece of My Heart - Becky Elder, FNP


Posted by Picasa  One Nurse At A Time's first scholarship nurse for 2011, Becky Elder, recently returned from a medical mission in Guatemala with the organization Hearts in Motion (http://www.heartsinmotion.org/ )   Becky writes:

I knew this trip would be meaningful.  I did not know it would be a personal awakening as to who I was and what purpose I bring to this world.  I have lived a week in Guatemala and my life will forever be changed by those who touched my life and therefore touched my heart.  I broke off a piece of my heart and left it in Guatemala.  Someday I will return.
Have you participated in any medical missions in the past?  Is it something you'd like to do in the future?  Where have YOU left a piece of your heart?  
We look forward to hearing from you!
~Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Every nurse should serve on a mission trip at least one time in their lives. The nursing evironment in the US leaves us cold, jaded and feeling worthless at times. Serving abroad rekindles that spark you first felt when you entered nursing. To read my blog about my recent trip to Haiti see: http://nursewithamission.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Martha, especially the part of how "serving abroad rekindles that spark you first felt when you entered nursing." Kudos for taking the initiative to help the people of Haiti.The next time you plan to go on a medical be sure to check on a scholarship through One Nurse at a Time. We undertand that voluntering is expensive and we strive to support our fellow nurses who go.

    ~Nancy Leigh Harless,RN,WCHNP
    Communicatons Officer ONAAT

    ReplyDelete